Adding a centerstand to a Virago 250 – updated Nov 6, 2012

I added a SWM centerstand that is made for the European model V-Star XVS125 and XVS250.

It is not an exact fit, so it was a little difficult to install and it does not work perfectly like a factory centerstand should, but it is fine if you are not fussy.

I tried different springs (that hold it up against the frame when not in use), but I could not get it to hold the centerstand up, so I added a magnet. I used construction adhesive to attach it, and it has stayed on for over six months.

The center stand is mounted a little more forward than normal, so when I need the rear tire to be off the ground, I have to hang some weights on the front wheel. My footpegs are moved back; weight distribution would be better with the footpegs in the original position.

I do not trust or use sidestands so I removed the sidestand.
I saw a guy on a Suzuki 750 WB go down on the highway because his sidestand was down.
I also saw a mint Harley fall over because the sidestand was not all the way out.
Sidestands cause a lot more trouble than centerstands. From the 1960’s until about 20 years ago, bikes came with centerstands, and sidestands were optional – now things are opposite.

The sidestand weighs 1.5 lbs and the centerstand that I added weighs 4.3 lbs.

Thanks to Darren from Australia for asking about adding the centerstand.

——————————————-

The posting below is  from Yves Petit of Canada.

I have not seen his center-stand, but it seems to be very well made and is probably much more stable than the center-stand that I have.

Submitted on 2012/11/06 at 10:03 am

Hi everyone,

I bought my V-Star 2012 this summer and to my great disapointment, I realized once home that it had no centerstand. All my previous bikes had centerstands. I was sure Yamaha offered it as an option but no…not available. After reading what Les had to say about the SWM centerstand, I set out to design one. I have it on since one week and it does the job.

I recently changed the drive sprockets (see other post  http://wp.me/p1LWaM-13 ) and I don’t know how I could have taken the rear wheel off without a centerstand!

The centerstand attaches to the existing “ears” which I suppose are remmants of the the former Yamaha centerstand. The spring atttaches to the flat bar that links the two tubes of the cradle underneath the bike. See photos below.

Yves Petit
Canada
email to:  yp251@yahoo.ca

——————————————-
——————————————-
——————————————-

Today’s random thought – When in traffic, pay the most attention to the cars slightly ahead of you that could cause you a problem – most of the time, you will get some sort of clue (early warning) that they are going to pull in front of you.

If you speed up and pass the cars, continue to watch the cars when they are beside you, as they still are a threat to you.  Peripheral vision (side vision) is extremely important to motorcyclists, especially if you ride in heavy traffic.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Motorcycles and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Adding a centerstand to a Virago 250 – updated Nov 6, 2012

1. grandnono86 says:

Hello,

What adjustments have you made ​​to mount the stand ?

• lstrick115 says:

Hi, thanks for the question.
      Since the SWM centerstand that I bought was made for the European model V-Star XVS125 and XVS250, it does not fit very well – I tried several different mounting methods and finally it was good enough, but definitely not a great fit.

I bolted it to the crossbrace under the engine. I had to drill a few holes in the crossbrace to bolt the centerstand to.

(There are two tabs in front of the rear wheel that look like they are for a centerstand, but mounting the centerstand that I have to those two tabs is impossible.)

I tried different springs (that hold it up against the frame when not in use), but I could not get it to hold the centerstand up, so I added a magnet. I attached it with construction adhesive, and it has stayed on for over a year.
      -Les S.

2. Sunil says:

I want to fix a centre stand to my Yamaha 250cc Cruiser, pls give me some good solid ideas pleeeez…?????

• lstrick115 says:

Hi Sunil,
      Thanks for the question.
      SWM makes a center stand for the European model Yamaha V-Star XVS125 and XVS250, but I think they no longer make a center stand for a Virago 250.

The SWM center stand for the European model Yamaha V-Star XVS125 and XVS250 does not fit the Virago 250 without modifications – I would not recommend this unless you are pretty handy. The height of this V-Star XVS125/XVS250 center stand is 7.6875 inches or 195 mm, and the pivot rod width is 7.375 inches or 187 mm.

You could put a center stand from another bike on your Virago 250, but most center stands from other bikes will not fit, so finding one would be difficult. The height of the Virago 250 center stand needs to be about 7.375 inches or 187 mm, or just a little less than that. If the center stand you find is just a little short, you can add a spacer to the mounting plate or add to the feet of the stand to make the stand the proper length.

For notes on installation, please the posting “Adding a centerstand to a Virago 250” and the comments.
      -Les S.

3. Yves Petit says:

Hi everyone,

I recently changed the drive sprockets (see other post) and I don’t know how I could have taken the rear wheel off without a centerstand!

The centerstand attaches to the existing “ears” which I suppose are remmants of the the former Yamaha centerstand. The spring atttaches to the flat bar that links the two tubes of the cradle underneath the bike. See photos at the links below (hope it works!)

I can have some manufactured and shipped to those who would like to have one. Sunil, who posted previously and I are surely not the only ones for whom a centerstand is essential. My price is $200 complete with spring, pivot pins and excluding shipping. Let me know and we can work out the payment. (Yves, yp251@yahoo.ca)

• lstrick115 says:

Hi Yves,
      Thanks for sending this. Your center-stand looks very sturdy and stable.

Does the spring (that raises the stand when not in use) raise the stand all by itself ? – or do you have to help lift it by hand ?
      Regards,
      Les S.

• Yves Petit says:

Hi Les,
        The spring is amply strong to lift it up and maintain it in place without movement. I use a piece of cork taped to the centerstand to absorb the schock when the stand hits the contact point which is the rear cylinder exhaust pipe. Springs are a tough mechanical component to select but during engineering life I have selected many springs and I know where to look to find the right one.

• Sunil Nand says:

Hi , You are the man for the Virago…you have the same taste for the bikes as I do …cheers M8, I was very impressed with the looks, performance ,colour, – Burgandy red metallic paint and the chromes.. though I seen that this fellow doesnt have a centre stand ..!!! Thank you a heaps for the good reply though a bit long , doesnt matter , You have one a wonderful job Yves..Good work .Looks very grt on the bike,
      Thank you for the offer.

4. Yves Petit says:

Hello everyone,
    My centerstand was recently installed to 1996 and 2005 Viragos. So now I know that this centerstand can fit all viragos from 1996 to 2012. If you wish to have the contact info for these buyers, don’t hesitate to contact me.
    Yves

• TravelBug says:

Yves, I’d love to have that info! I’m about to buy a 2008 250 and have gotten too used to have a centerstand to want to go back to a bike without one…

• Yves Petit says:

Hi travelbug, drop me a word on my email (yp251@yahoo.ca) and I can send you comments from other buyers. I just sold one for a 2008 model.

5. TravelBug says:

Thanks for all this great info!